Wisdom Teeth Extraction Surgery
Problems With Wisdom Teeth
Adults can have up to four wisdom teeth, two in the upper jaw and two in the lower jaw. With most people, there is usually insufficient space for the wisdom teeth to completely emerge and, as a result, they can cause problems.
These problems include:
• Decay to the wisdom teeth leading to pain and increased difficulty in removing them.
• The gums around the wisdom teeth can swell and infection can occur, causing pain.
• The presence of the wisdom teeth can also lead to damage to the important molar tooth that are right in front of them.
• Sometimes cyst or other pathology can form around impacted wisdom teeth.
Local Anaesthetic In Dental Chair VS General Anaesthetic In Hospital
If you have impacted wisdom teeth in Morningside, Cannon Hill, or other Brisbane suburbs, you may well need wisdom teeth surgery to remove them. There is often a misconception that wisdom teeth surgery needs to be done in a hospital setting under general anaesthetic and that an oral maxillofacial surgeon is required for such a procedure. This is not true. We can safely remove your wisdom teeth in the chair at our Cannon Hill dentist clinic using a local anaesthetic.
Thinking local anaesthetic is not sufficient? Penthrox inhaler is now available at My Dentist at Cannon Hill. Penthrox is analgesic, which is a medication used for pain relief. The active ingredient in Penthrox is methoxyflurane which works by making people less responsive to excitement and pain. As well as helping to reduce pain Penthrox will also cause drowsiness.
The benefits of local anaesthetic compared to general anaesthetic are as follows:
- Local anaesthetics pose fewer risks compared to a general anaesthetic.
- There is shorter preparation time with local anaesthetic compared to a general anaesthetic.
- There is also a shorter recovery time with local anaesthetic compared to a general anaesthetic.
- Lower costs – hospital fees and general anaesthetic fees can incur high costs – you can avoid these costly fees when wisdom teeth are removed under local anaesthetics.
What We Do
At My Dentist at Cannon Hill, we offer wisdom teeth surgery for the Morningside and Cannon Hill areas. Our local dentists are trained to remove your wisdom teeth and make this process as comfortable as possible. For more complicated cases or when surgery is required, Dr. Pablo Regueiro is available.
Who is Dr. Pablo?
Dr. Pablo has a particular interest in removing teeth and wisdom teeth. He has had extensive training over many years and has worked in both private practices and in the public system. Through his dental career, he has removed thousands of teeth and wisdom teeth. He is very skilled at removing wisdom teeth and this special skill has led him to be a lecturer at the University of Queensland teaching dental students.
Wide Service Range
My Dentist at Cannon Hill carries out wisdom teeth surgery for people in Brisbane, Morningside, Bulimba, Cannon Hill, Murarrie, Carina, Carina Heights, Tingalpa, Hemmant, Belmont, Balmoral, Hawthorne, Carindale, Seven Hills, and Camp Hill.
If your dentist has referred you to an oral maxillofacial surgeon or hospital but you would like to see if your wisdom teeth can be removed under local anaesthetic contact our local dentists.