Dental Crowns and Bridges – Protecting Your Smile
Do you have one or more damaged or decayed teeth? At My Dentist at Cannon Hill, we can help to restore and protect your smile. Dental crowns and bridges are used to restore and replace damaged or missing teeth. Both procedures are straightforward and in many cases, dental bridges and crowns work together to restore the aesthetics and functionality of your smile.
Crowns can be made from various materials depending on the indications for the particular case.
What Is a Dental Crown?
Sometimes called tooth caps, dental crowns are artificial yet natural-looking tooth replacements that are placed over and cover an existing tooth. Unlike other options, crowns don’t simply replace a missing tooth but rather they protect teeth that have been damaged or decayed.
Dental crowns provide strength and protection while also transforming your smile. They can be used to improve the shape, size and colour of your teeth as well.
Do I Need Dental Crowns?
If your tooth –
- Has become chipped, cracked and worn.
- Has cracks through it meaning it can fracture.
- Has been weakened by decay or trauma.
- Has been filled and the filling needs to be concealed.
- Has become misshapen or discoloured.
Types of Dental Crowns at Cannon Hill
Crowns can be made from various materials depending on the needs of your particular case.
The different types of crowns are:
- Full porcelain – we recommend these crowns for a superior natural appearance.
- Porcelain fused with metal – a stronger dental crown that still offers a natural look.
- Full metal crowns – the most durable but also most noticeable dental crown; usually ideal for back teeth and molars.
- The new one visit crown – a new technology and a new revoluationary way to restore teeth that is done in one visit.
What Is a Dental Bridge?
Dental bridges are permanent, non-removable restorations that are used to replace missing teeth in your mouth. A dental bridge usually consists of two crowns, with a false tooth that “bridges” the gap in between. The crowns are placed on the teeth adjacent to the gap for strength, stability and support.
Why Do I Need a Dental Bridge?
Gaps in your teeth don’t just affect your appearance – they can also impact your entire oral health. Missing teeth can affect the structure, function and strength of surrounding teeth, causing them to weaken and eventually fall out.
Missing teeth can also affect your ability to chew and speak. They alter your healthy bite and can cause your face to sag and visibly age.
The Dental Bridge Procedure in Cannon Hill
Our dentists take care of your smile with a careful and safe procedure:
- The surrounding teeth are reshaped to fit the crowns
- An accurate dental bridge is made from teeth impressions
- This bridge will be fitted and adjusted when it’s ready
- You can enjoy a healthy, attractive, functional smile once more!
Alternatives to Crowns and Bridges
If you’re looking to support chipped and broken teeth, you can explore solutions such as veneers, tooth coloured fillings and root canal treatments. To replace missing teeth, dental implants and partial dentures are among your other options.
My Dentist at Cannon Hill provides dental crowns and bridges to Brisbane, the local area of Cannon Hill and the surrounding suburbs. This includes Murarrie, Morningside, Carina, Carina Heights, Tingalpa, Hemmant, Balmoral, Hawthorne, Bulimba, Carindale, Belmont, Seven Hills and Camp Hill.