At My Dentist at Cannon Hill, we believe that “Prevention is better than cure”. There are number of ways in which we can try to optimise your ongoing oral health and they include:
• Scale and prophylaxis.
• Fissure sealants.
• Topical Fluoride treatment.
• Oral hygiene instructions.
• Other dental adjuncts (mouthwashes, cleaning aids and tooth remineralising agents).
• Regular recalls.
Maintaining your oral health
The Importance of Good Oral Health
Oral health is vital to an overall healthier life and body. It is common thought that the consequences of poor oral health might just lead to a few cavaties. But the truth is, studies have shown that those with poor oral health are more likely to suffer from heart and lung disease, diabetes and strokes caused by migration of bacteria from the oral cavity into the blood stream.
How to avoid pain and unnecessary costs
Maintaining your oral health is really easier than most people think, it starts at home! Here are some important habits to adopt to avoid pain, loss of confidence and unnecessary costs:
• Applying a good brushing technique is essential to the daily maintenance of your smile and the health of your gums. Place your toothbrush at an angle partially against your gums and teeth and apply small circular motions. Our doctors are more than happy to take you through the most effective techniques for brushing when we see you at your next appointment.
• Finding the right toothbrush for you. It is actually easier to reach those “hard-to-reach” places using a small to medium sized toothbrush with bristles that are of medium softness. Bristles that are too stiff may injure the gums if brushing techniques are not applied correctly. Replace your tooth brush every 3 to 6 months, or when bristles start to fray.
• Brushing your teeth twice a day and proper flossing helps prevent build up of plaque and calculus.
• Our dentist is able to aid you in achieving good oral health and recommend 6 monthly scheduled appointments. We believe strongly in prevention where it is possible, to help our patients avoid the stress and trauma of more invasive procedures.
My Dentist at Cannon Hill is focused on providing preventive dental care to Brisbane and the local area of Cannon Hill and the surrounding suburbs of Murarrie, Morningside, Carina, Carina Heights, Tingalpa, Hemmant, Balmoral, Hawthorne, Bulimba, Carindale, Seven Hills and Camp Hill.