Scaling & Polishing (Prophylaxis)
• Dental plaque is present in everybody’s mouth, and most but not all can be removed by regular brushing and flossing. Residual plaque will harden to form calculus, which leads to other problems such as periodontal disease and gingivitis. Lifestyle habits, such as consumption of coffee and smoking, will leave stains on your teeth which cannot be removed by routine teeth brushing and flossing. Thus a visit to the dentist is necessary. Scaling will remove the calculus, and polishing will smoothen the surface of the teeth to lower the retention of dental plague.
A visit to the dentist is recommended twice a year.
Stain Removal via Prophyjet
• A pressurised jet of powder is sprayed onto the teeth with stubborn stains that cannot be removed by regular scaling and polishing procedure. The will effectively remove stains from causes such as smoking, coffee, tea and red wine.
• Fluoride is applied topically, and prevents caries and tooth decay by making teeth more resistant to the acid that are generated by bacteria. It is also a great way to strengthen enamel in early stage cavities.
Tooth Coloured Fillings
• Amalgam fillings and metal fillings are becoming obsolete as more patients choose to go with composite resin “tooth-colored” fillings that offer better aesthetics and seal. Composite resin fillings have rendered the silver fillings that were once telling signs of cavities unnecessary.
• A mouthguard is a protective aligner fitted over the teeth and gums, to prevent or reduce any possible injury to the face, jaw and teeth. Custom mouthguards are made for both children and adults and are required for anyone that play sports where there is potential trauma to face, jaw and mouth.
My Dentist at Cannon Hill provides general dental services to Brisbane and the local area of Cannon Hill and the surrounding suburbs of Murarrie, Morningside, Carina, Carina Heights, Tingalpa, Hemmant, Balmoral, Hawthorne, Bulimba, Carindale, Seven Hills and Camp Hill.