Wisdom Teeth Surgery and Removal
A Guide to Wisdom Teeth Removal from My Dentist at Cannon Hill
Adults can have up to four wisdom teeth, two in the upper jaw and two in the lower jaw. If you have insufficient space for your wisdom teeth to emerge, My Dentist at Cannon Hill can assist in getting wisdom teeth out.
Problems With Wisdom Teeth
When wisdom teeth don’t have room to emerge, they can become impacted (prevented from properly emerging) and they can affect the rest of your teeth and mouth. Complications include:
- Decay to the wisdom teeth, leading to pain and increased difficulty removing them
- The gums around the wisdom teeth can swell and infection can occur, causing pain
- The presence of the wisdom teeth can also lead to damage to the important molar teeth that are right in front of them
- Sometimes cysts or other pathology such as tumours can form around impacted wisdom teeth
In-Chair vs in Hospital Wisdom Teeth Extraction
If you have impacted wisdom teeth in Morningside, Cannon Hill, or other Brisbane suburbs, you may well need wisdom teeth surgery to remove them. There is a misconception that wisdom teeth surgery needs to be done in a hospital setting under general anaesthetic and that an oral maxillofacial surgeon is required. This is not true. We can safely remove most wisdom teeth in the chair at our Cannon Hill clinic using a local anaesthetic.
The benefits of local anaesthetic compared to general anaesthetic are as follows:
- Local anaesthetic pose fewer risks than a general anaesthetic
- There is shorter preparation time with local anaesthetic
- There is also a shorter recovery time with local anaesthetic
- Hospital fees and general anaesthetic fees can incur high costs – you can avoid these fees when wisdom teeth are removed by our team
As well as local anaesthetic, we offer a Penthrox inhaler, which is a medication used for pain relief. Penthrox is an analgesic that will also cause drowsiness.
Our Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure
- You are placed under a local anaesthetic and the wisdom tooth is accessed by making an incision.
- We carefully remove the tooth and clean and stitch the site.
- A gauze is used to control bleeding and encourage clotting.
- Our thorough post operative instuctions will be given to ensure you have best chance of healing without complications.
Who Is Dr Pablo?
Dr Pablo is an experienced wisdom teeth removal specialist. He has had extensive training over many years and has worked in both private practices and in the public system. Through his dental career, he has removed thousands of teeth and wisdom teeth. As a recognised leader in this field, Dr Pablo is lecturing at the University of Queensland, teaching dental students.
The Easier Way of Getting Wisdom Teeth Out
Many of our patients are from other dental practices who had been referred to a specialist and a hospital. If you would like to see if your wisdom teeth can be removed under local anaesthetic, please contact our local dentists. My Dentist at Cannon Hill carries out many wisdom teeth extractions for people in Brisbane, Morningside, Bulimba, Cannon Hill and other surrounding suburbs.
If you have your X-Ray on file you can also simiply attached this file on our contact form below. Once we see your X-Ray we will be able to let you know if extraction under local anaesthetic is possible. If your X-Ray is not in a file format simply take a photo of the X-Ray and attach the photo in the form below.